So on to the next part of the all-grain plan – the recipe. We're going for an oatmeal stout as our first attempt. Something like this (based on John Palmer's Mill Run Stout) :
|Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt||8lb|
|Quick Flaked Oats||1lb|
|Crystal Malt 40L||1lb|
|Irish Ale Yeast|
|Nugget Hops (60min)||0.75oz|
|Fuggles Hops (30min)||1oz|
Total weight of grain is 11lb; we need 2 quarts per pound of grain, so 2×11=22 Quarts or 5.5gallons (but we'll use 5 gallons as the mash tun is only a 5 gallon cooler). We want to mash at 152F for 60 minutes. So the procedure will be :
- Heat 5 gallons of water to 160F, using 4 gallons of reverse osmosis water and one gallon tap water.
- Preheat the mash tun using 1gallon of boiling water
- Add crushed grain to the Mash Tun, then add the water on top of this grain. Add water using a jug, stirring after each addition.
- Leave to mash for 60 minutes. While mashing heat sparge water to 165-175F in smaller pot.
- Vorlauf (drain wort and put back in gently until it runs clear)
- Drain wort into boiling pot.
- Add sparge water to cooler, stir, vorlauf again and drain second wort into pot as well
- Boil with hop additions as above
- Cool, pitch yeast, and ferment